Tuesday 27 October 2015

Day 47 Avoca Beach to Sydney

I have been trying over the last couple of days to get ahead or avoid a weather front coming in from inland. Bringing storms and rain. At 3.30am I was woken by torrential rain and by 5.30 still rain. I checked the government weather site and said should clear by lunch time with the chance of a couple of showers. So set about getting ready, 7.30 passed it was still raining. It wasn't until 8.30 that I was able to pack the bike up and get on the road. Avoca is on the edge of a hill so had another early morning work out to get back on the route. I have a theory that because I think my chain is worn it's making riding less efficient. Just a theory. I was heading for Ettilong initially to catch the ferry to Palm Beach the home of Home and Away. The going was tough as not only did it rain a couple of times there was also a strong head wind and not much of a shoulder. And of course a bit hilly. I got there in plenty of time to catch the 11 o'clock ferry so treated myself to a coffee and Anzac biscuit. The sea was very rough so the crossing was very bumpy, glad I wasn't drunk! Got to Palm Beach and decided not to bother to check out the "summer bay" beach and motor on. Well I guess I was suppose to because the road out of town was closed because of a broken electricity cable on the road. So a diversion past the beach of home and away and more blinking hills. Checked out the beach and the life saving club. Weren't filming today so didn't meet Alf or Marilyn. The detour added another hour to my journey, I then started hitting more traffic and more lanes and the bike lane disappeared, so had to cycle on the pavement. Which throws up more dangers like people coming out of their driveways. All these things slowing me down. Got to about 10km from Manly and stopped for a roll and a date scone. Was walking down the shopping area on the main drag and saw a cycle shop, got a new chain and got him to fit it as well. I think it made a difference. Eventually got to the Manly Ferry at 4.30 and fast tracked into Sydney Harbour. Shame it was overcast but good that it wasn't raining. Landed at circular key and headed to the opera house, promised myself I would get a picture of me with my bike in front of the opera house and the bridge. Had to walk around the botanical gardens to get to the other side as you are not aloud to ride bikes there. Got my picture now to the central train station to get the train to Sally's in the Blue Mountains... To be continued...





1 comment: