Thursday 8 October 2015

Day 28 Pottsville to Byron Bay

Had a pretty sleepless night was blowing a gale outside. No rain overnight though. Plus I lost an hour so in my mind I got up at 5 not 6. Anyway on the road by eight it was overcast and chilly. Thought about keeping my hoody on but figured I'd probably sweat too much. I stuck to the coast road but knew at some point I would have to go on the highway. So just enjoyed the back road for as long as it lasted. Sometimes random cycle paths would appear in the strangest places. At one point there was a cycle path next to the old highway next to the new highway!  There were some pretty intense hills today as well. I went up most of them but one got the better of me and I had to walk up it. I ended riding on the highway for about 7km it was ok as the shoulder was the width of a car so could ride right over on the left hand side. Today I only did 46km so arrived just after noon. I actually cycled for 2.5 hours but I stop to eat and check the map quite a bit. It didn't really rain that much on the way but it rained a couple of times in Byron. That's the first rain since Babinda. Any who set up the tent got organised then started walking to check out Cape Byron the most easterly point in Australia. On the way I popped into the tourist information to get a new map. Met Barrie who asked me where I was from. Usually when someone asks me that question I say Somerset in the UK. So he then asked where abouts so I said Blackford blank look I said its next to a place called Wedmore. Oh really I did a house swap there, really I said where did you stay? A big house next to the church, oh I said the McCarthurs. Yes he said. Small world. After getting my maps I carried on to the Cape. Was a nice walk but I saw the hill to the lighthouse and couldn't do it took a picture instead! Byron seems to be a party town a bit like Fistral Beach in Cornwall. Full of surfers, backpackers and also families. It's really lively. Whoops sorry about the double picture post can't delete it from my iPhone!







No comments:

Post a Comment