Saturday 17 October 2015

Day 38 South West Rocks to Port Macquarie

Woke up to find 8 kangaroos having a conference by my bike. Tried to get a picture but my iPhone flash wasn't up to it as you can see below. On the road at 7.30 and after a few hills getting out of town the ride was flat as a pancake. So I was making good time. No highway today just back roads and a lot less cars. Followed the huge Macleay river then the smaller Belmore river to Gladstone. This is cattle country, lots of farms and lots of cattle. No friesian cows though. At Gladstone turned off and headed towards Crescent Heads, there were a couple of hills on the way. Didn't head into town, my destination today is Port Macquarie where Iam going to meet up with Deb and Nige who I met in Evans Head. They are stuck there waiting for their car to be fixed. It's a long way to go but worth the effort. Just outside Crescent Heads I turned onto Maria River Road my first unsealed gravel road, my first and at 29km I hope my last! Going was slow max speed 15km minimum 8km concentration needed to avoid holes  and mogels. I wish I had suspension at this point as well. Was an occasionally cloudy day but mostly sunny. Decided that it would be a good time to listen to some music, (on speakers not headphones) started of with Kate Bush then Sia and finished off with Sinead O'Conner. Which made the time pass really quickly. Arrived at the Settlement Point Ferry at 2.30 only to be told it was closed till 3 because of the triathlon. Woman offered me a cold drink and I sat in the shade relaxing while I waited. Made it to the campsite at just past 3.30 my longest day 96km feel surprisingly good although my feet hurt a bit. Almost felt like going for a 4km ride to take it to 100 but managed to stop myself! Went for a walk on the beach in the evening to see the rock Deb and Nige has painted for me, awesome! Then a bite to eat and an early night. 







No comments:

Post a Comment