Saturday 3 October 2015

Day 23 Bli Bli to Capalaba

Today would be a short trip on the train to Capalaba to visit an old friend from Taiwan who I haven't seen for some time.  So same routine up with the bird songs packed away breakfast made. Whilst handing in the camp key had another chat with Trev the site manager who thinks Iam a bit loopy. Run into him yesterday and thought it amusing that I went on a 52km ride just for fun. Told me to be safe and him and his wife may bump into me as they were heading down south on holiday on Wednesday. Short 10km ride to Nambour to get the train. Was chatting to Greg the ticket master and he suggested I should make a side trip to the Glass House Mountains if I had time. Could possibly leave my stuff at the tourist information and head to one of the smaller hills and walk up. I was surprised at how cheap the ticket was, I would guess it was approx 150km train ride for $22 about £11. Not many on the train so transporting the bike was easy peasy. Got of at GHM station, could have also stopped at Australia Zoo set up by Steve Irwin but that would have needed more time and a lot more money. The tourist information kindly let me leave all my bags with them and I set off to Mt Ngungun which is 253m high. When I left Coolum Beach I decided to remove the magpie zip ties from my helmet a move that has turned out to be a bit premature.  Had a couple of attacks when I left Bli Bli and on the ride to Ngungun a particularly persistent one which I would have to face again on my return! So locked my bike up and up I went. Not ideal walking in cycling shoes and was mindful not to trip and break anything. Was a hard slog to the top, and was dripping with sweat but the views were amazing. Another happy coincidence that my path should cross someone who suggested a good trip. Back on the train arrived in Birkdale and then a short 3 km ride to Kirsty's and we picked up again like we had only seen each other a week ago. I like friendships like that, don't see/hear from someone for a while but can pick up where you left off. Was good to catch up on each other's news meet her husband Tony. The kids funnily enough are staying with their grandparents in Nambour the place where I caught the train this morning. So will get to meet them tomorrow. Also contacted a friend from the village I live in England who now lives in the Blue Mountains so arranged to go up there when I arrive in Sydney in 3 weeks or so. The good thing about getting a big lift with Sharon is I can slow down a bit and do a few more side trips. Not have to feel like I need to be cycling everyday. So it feels more like a holiday enjoying the journey rather than focusing on how Iam going to get to my destination by December 4th/5th. Whilst on the train realised their yellow was almost the same colour as my bike, that's why I have included the random picture at the end. 








No comments:

Post a Comment