Friday 23 October 2015

Day 43 Forster to Hawks Head

What a wild night, rain and really strong winds. Was worried me and the tent were going to get blown away! All packed up ready to go and John and Mazz came to say goodbye then Cathy and Rob came too. It was a real joy to hang out with them all, hope I bump into them again . 
Was a bit anxious about the road out of Forster as the road in was busy and the shoulder was none existent at times. But there was a good shoulder for about 20km. Also a pretty strong head wind which wasn't very pleasant. Then the road started getting windy and hilly, my favourite kind of riding.... NOT. So the biggest climb was for 2.5km I figured I would give it a go. 2 little voices piped in , I can do it, I can't do it. Ok just round this next corner must be the top, ahh no keep going this corner maybe. I can do this on and on it went! I was stoked to make it to the top without pushing my bike. I guess the more of them I do the easier it gets but give me a flat ride any day. Just to cool off had a 5 minute rain shower at the top. Today was overcast and sunny but cold, the first day I have worn a long sleeved t shirt all day. At around 45km I turned onto the highway. Was suppose to turn off at Bulahdelah to get on the back road to Hawks Nest but for some reason thought the turning would be straight off the highway. It wasn't! I could have cycled the 4km back but decided to stay on the highway for another 30km and take another back road. In retrospect I wish I had because the highway was up and down all the way, whereas the other route would have been flat as a pancake. But hey guess I need more hill training! Found the gravel road and more hills. Awesome! But the views were lovely. Arrived in Hawks Nest just before 5, and clocked 99km. Was very happy to get there, it was a long slog. I had been collecting loyalty stamps from this chain of holiday parks so if you get 6 you get an extra night free. I reached that so will be staying an extra night here. A rest day with a lye in. Sat around a fire pit in the evening chatting and drinking Milo for a while and then to bed at 9, was very tired.








No comments:

Post a Comment