Monday 12 October 2015

Day 33 Grafton to Nana Glen

On the road by 7.30 first had to get threw Grafton. So a lot of stopping to check the map. If you go wrong in a car it's no bother but going the wrong way on a bike wouldn't make me a happy camper! Crossed over the bridge under the carriageway next to the train track which was cool. Then on the back road to Coffs Harbour. The plan was to get there today but things didn't quite work out that way. Now a couple of weeks ago I said I was looking forward to this section from Brisbane to Melbourne because it follows the coast. Well that's not actually true, it cuts inland sometimes. What the route does is try to avoid the highway. Which is all good. Today there would be no highway but damn there were a lot of hills. They undulated all the way, up and down up and down. I found it very difficult going and very tiring. I managed to cycle up all but one of them. There always seems to be one. At my hour break at a bus stop Carl went past, another cycle tourist. An Aussie from Brisbane. We chatted for a while and then we went our separate ways. It was hot again in the morning with all the uphill cycling I was sweating buckets. Drinking lots of water and my legs were feeling the burn!! Some beautiful country side to take in, lots of farms and lots of logging trucks. Got to Glenreagh at lunch and had a well deserved cup of tea. At this point I realised I probably wouldn't make it to Coffs Harbour. The forecast was for an afternoon thunder storm. So checked wikicamps and found a camping ground in Nana Glen. Only 10km away. Arrived at Nana Glen sports and equestrian center. Called the number on the board no answer. So I let myself in and headed over to another caravan and sat in the bbq area taking in the view. Thinking about where I was going to put my tent and how wet I was going to get! Then it started raining! My phone rang and it was  the caretaker returning my call, asked if I could camp here and he said yes he would pop out to see me. He dully arrived we had a long chat and he said I would be better off putting my tent up under cover so to go over to the shed. Which I did and spread all my stuff out. Put my tent up to dry, will only be using the inner bit tonight as can't peg it out. Had a shower, John the caretaker lit a fire. When I whatsapped my mum and told her where I was she googled it and told me Russell Crowe has a property here. Which I said to John and he told me he comes here. Interesting. Anyway tomorrow Coffs Harbour, weather is suppose to be rainy again so we will see what happens. Hopefully my legs will have recovered, did 62 hard km today. With a top speed of 56km/h, apparently there is a big hill going into Coffs Harbour luckily I will be going down it.







No comments:

Post a Comment