Friday 9 October 2015

Day 29 Byron Bay to Evans Head

I am really having problems adjusting to the new times, getting out of bed at 5.30 is really hard. So got up at 5.45 instead!! Was all packed up and at the camp kitchen when it tipped down with rain. Pretty much stopped by the time I left. The day started with some intense hills, my thighs were burning! Made it up all of them except one which I just couldn't do.  NSW seems to have bicycle paths that start just outside towns which is nice. Usually 4 or 5 km outside which is a real joy. Had to go on the highway a bit today but was only single lane traffic like in Queensland but carrying a lot more traffic. But most of the day was spent on back roads with little traffic which was bizarre but very pleasant. Also went on the Burns Point Ferry, a short 5 minute ride, the other side of Ballina. A town I quite liked. Had a nice feel about it. Went past one of the smallest post offices in Australia, think it's only open till 11. At 60km got to a sign for Devonshire teas and figured I would treat myself. But when I saw served with whipped cream and not clotted cream I decided on vege lasagne and salad instead! Very tasty. Just as I left there it started raining again so I hung out at a bus stop for 20 minutes until it stopped. At 72km I arrived at the sea side town of Evans Head and a nice camp site. Met Nigel and his wife Deb they had done some touring in New Zealand and had some interesting stories to tell. Invited me to tea and had a few drinks. They were great company, decided to stay here for a second night. A rest day. 








No comments:

Post a Comment