Wednesday 17 February 2016

Day 29 Queenstown to Craddle Mountain by bus.

Slept well in the camp TV room, the rain continued for most of the night. Got organised and headed to the bus stop to catch the bus to Craddle Mountain. A little bus with a trailer, same driver as scared the living bejesus out of me getting to Queenstown. This time he drove well, I think it had something to do with a passenger sat up the front with him. Also quite a few slower vehicles on the road and not much power to get up the hills. The trip was up and down all the way, not undulating but big ups and big downs. I take my hat off to any cycling tourist who can do that route it was brutal. Definitely beyond my capabilities. I think I would struggle to do it on a lightweight bike with no luggage. Anyway got to Craddle Mountain visitor centre at 11.30 and headed to the camp ground. Put my tent up in the sunshine, it makes such a difference. I am so happy to get away from the rain. After I was organised headed to the visitor centre, the park runs shuttle buses into the park as the road is narrow and they want to reduce the number of cars that head up there. To get a free ticket all you have to do is show your national parks pass. A 20 minute ride to the lake and a great view of Craddle Mountain. Did some of the walks enjoyed the sunshine, took loads of photos, it was brilliant. After 5 hours headed back down to the campsite and cooked pasta for tea. Had a luke warm shower brrrrr, all tucked up in my sleeping bag ready for when the sun goes down and the temperature plummets! Back on the bike tomorrow. 









No comments:

Post a Comment