Wednesday 10 February 2016

Day 23 Mount Field National Park to Ouse 38.38km

Up early and on the road by 8.45. The 7km ride out of the park to the B road was a breeze all down hill. Great. Although today was a short day 3 big hills stood in my way. It was pretty cold in the morning so wore layers. Got up the first hill it was tough. I do feel my legs getting stronger but I would love to go up the hills on a lightweight bike with no luggage just to see the difference. The scenery is gorgeous and one benifit of going slowly is I get to soak it up. Got up the second hill which was a bit tougher but cycled up, no pushing. Then the clouds cleared and the sun shone and it got pretty hot. Up the 3rd hill Yipeee! It was nice to know that there were no more today. On the decent I stopped to chat to a couple from Wollongong who are cycling the circuit. Started in Hobart did the east coast along the top then down the west coast. Staying in hotels though so lightweight. Arrived in Ouse at lunchtime and was faced with a decision. I had already decided that I was going to get the bus to Derwent Bridge as the next hill is a climb of 800m up a windy road. Beyond my limits I think, well I know. But the bus doesn't go till 5.20 tomorrow. There's no camping in town, the last free camping is 8km back the way I came. I decided to try and hitch a lift, after an hour and possibly 10 cars decided to sit in the shade and weigh up my options. Well I sat and thought about it for 2 hours. And decided to fork out $60 to stay at the pub. Was checking in and talking to Lynn the landlady about free camping etc and she told me there was a spot at the recreation ground I could camp with a toilet. It's part of the Tasmanian Trial. So thanked her and decided to go up there. Has a toilet and a shelter with a picnic table in a big field. Made my tea and was just about to have a wet wipe shower when a car drives in the field. Nigel and Cynthia from Bristol UK asking if this was the campsite. It was kind of a relief that they joined me, enjoyed a nice evening talking about Tasmania and the sights. 







No comments:

Post a Comment