Thursday 11 February 2016

Day 24 Ouse to Derwent Bridge by bus

The bus leaves today at 5.20pm so have the whole day to kill. Got up just in time to see Nigel and Cynthia off, they are heading to Russell Falls today. Decided to hang out in the shelter with the picnic bench for as long as I could. I managed it until 2pm. Checked out routes distances and gradients. Deciding what to do. Also booked accomadation at the Derwent Hotel, which was reasonable at $35. As none of the free campsite there have showers or toilets. May end up staying there for two nights as I want to go and see the wall and cycle out to Lake St Clair. See how I feel when I get there. Popped in to get supplies at the supermarket as apparently Derwent Bridge doesn't have one. Then ate my ice lolly under an apple tree. A load of bikers pulled up, so chatted with them for  30 minutes, they seemed to think getting on a bus was a good idea for me as the road is steep and windy. Then up to the loos where I ended up talking to more people. A couple from the Blue Mountains, talking about Queenstown and what it looks like, how the copper and silver industries have scarred the landscape. So that made time fly by. Now it's almost 5 and I have all my panniers in a plastic bag, in a mo I will wheel my bike out to the road and take the front wheel off. Hopefully the bus will be on time. The bus arrived on time only 3 other people on it, so didn't need to take my front tyre off. The ride on the bus was expected. In fact it was so windy and up and down that by the time I arrived in Derwent Bridge I felt car sick! Not really that impressed with the accomadation but it will do for a night. In fact if I could find somewhere to pitch my tent I would rather sleep in it. I will head out to Lake St Clair tomorrow, although the reviews on wikicamps for that campsite aren't that good, guess have to check it out myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment