Tuesday 24 November 2015

Day 76 San Remo to Melbourne (South Yarra)

Awake at 4 and out of bed by 5. Was all packed up and ready to go at 6.30. Needed to get to Cowes to catch the ferry at 8.30 so was important for me to get there early as the next one wouldn't be until 12.30. Turns out was lucky that the first ferry ran as the forecast was for 25knot winds so would have been too rough. Luckily it was only 10 so the journey went ahead. Was joined on the ferry by some tandem riders who I met yesterday on the rail trail. Told them I planned to get the train to Brighton to join a cycle path into town. He said that there was a cycle path all the way in from Frankston a 40km ride. So I decided to do that instead. Just about caught the connecting train and was in Frankston by 10.30. Popped to the tourist info to find out about the cycle path but unable to help. So after a snack off I set. Couldn't find it so ended up cycling on a two lane highway with no shoulder for a while. When it became obvious that it was too dangerous I switched to the pavement. The other thing that was hindering me was the strong head wind, sometimes gusting up to 85km/h not a pleasant experience. It was very tempting to hop on a train as it followed the line of the highway, but decided it was worth making the effort. Then 20km out turned onto Beach Road and the cycle path appeared. By this time the temp was up to 30, no sun though just clouds and still a big head wind. Was thinking about what it would feel like to not have to cycle and whether I would do another trip. Where I would go etc. I wish the wind hadn't been so strong would have made the ride in so much more enjoyable. Maybe I will do the cycle path again when the weather is better. I cycled onto St Kilda road just after 4 and met my brother outside the royal botanical gardens. I cried, with joy and relief. I know I didn't cycle the whole way, but I did cycle a total of 2467km or 1442miles. So I am pretty proud of myself. There are a few things I may have done differently but on the whole Iam proud of what I achieved. I met some amazing people and made some great friendships. I had a blast and learnt a lot about myself and a lot about human nature. So to all the kind people I met along the way, thank you. To those who chatted with me, gave me drinks and food. Who invited me to hang out with them and enjoy their company, thank you. To everyone who gave me a lift when I was tired or bored of the road, thank you. To all the awesome people who let me stay in their homes, thank you. Lastly to all the friends and family who offered support and encouragement you have been awesome. The people made it the trip it turned out to be. Oh and I can do anything if I put my mind to it, except cycle up too many hills!



2 comments:

  1. You, most seriously ROCK. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina its yer old cous Shane, Dad just gave me your blog address blown away with what you have acheived its an amazing journey, the blog is great I've started reading through but got a lot to read as your now 70 odd days in!
    how far are you hoping to get?
    Keep pushing the hard days make it all the better when you finally reach yer goal!
    Its Xmas morning here in UK hope you had a nice day as I expect yours is over now.

    Merry Xmas
    Shane

    ReplyDelete