Monday 18 January 2016

Tina does Tassie my second cycle tour. To the start line.

So I set of from Melbourne this morning at 1.50am on The Spirit of Tasmania 1. Gary and John kindly drove down to the wharf with all my panniers. I cycled the 6.5km from South Yarra. We sat at the London Pub on the Esplanade and had dinner. Sat outside, thankfully protected from the wind behind glass. We got there at 7 and stayed there till 9.30. It had been 37c today but by 10 it was getting chilly. Gary told me that the Bass Strait could be one of the roughest crossings in the world. Let's hope it wouldn't be tonight. Tasmania is the only state in Australia I haven't visited so I am excited to see what it has to show me. (Whoops small update on that, I have one to go as I haven't been to ACT yet!) Also excited to get back on my bike and back on the road. Although of course I am apprehensive about the hills! The only decision I have made about my route is that I will do the east coast first, as it's suppose to be less hilly and there are shorter distances between towns. I don't really have a time frame so will be taking it easy. I have bought my good camera so will be spending some time taking photographs and enjoying my surroundings. There is a lot to see here and the scenery is suppose to be stunning. On boarding I met 3 French cyclist, Loic and Melanie who are travelling together and Delphine who is travelling alone. They also seem to be making it up as they go along. But Loic and Melanie have decided to do the west coast first. Which is impressive. The crossing was smooth and flat which was great. I even managed to sleep well in my recliner chair. Woke up at 9am still with a couple of hours to go. So met up with Loic and Melanie and talked about routes and free camping etc. Which was great. We arrived at 11.45 seemed to be a bit smoggy in Devonport, turned out to be smoke from bush fires. My bike arrived safely too, they only charge AU$5 to carry a bike which is very reasonable. By the time I got of the ferry and picked up my little LPG canister it was 12.30 so decided to find a camp site in town and head for Deloraine first thing tomorrow.After I finished my last trip I threw away my hi-vis jacket as it was covered in oil. On my ride to the campsite I passed a vinnies charity shop so popped in and got a beautiful orange hi-vis jacket for AU$4. Well actually it's not really beautiful, but I will definitely be seen on my bike when Iam wearing it. Now Iam relaxing in the wind it's overcast but the smoke has dissipated now, I hope they have it under control. Itching to get going tomorrow morning. I wonder if I will be woken by a chorus of birds at dawn?


2 comments:

  1. Best of luck T liking the bright orange high visibility jacket�� look forward to see some more pics over the coming days & weeks
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mannnn- this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete