Wednesday 27 January 2016

Day 9 Bicheno to Swansea 43.5km

Was woken just before midnight by a torch searching for a mosquito in M&C tent. It was tipping down with rain. Slowly the water rose until it became apparent that I needed to get out of my tent as I was beginning to float. There was about 4inches of water flowing threw. I packed up all me electrical stuff put my sleeping bag in its stuff sack. Made sure everything else was in my waterproof panniers and headed to the camp kitchen/games room. Where I slept on a couch. It rained most of the night! Woke up at 5.30 and headed to see if my tent was still standing, it was but inside looked very messy. See picture. I took out the air bed and the fly sheet and headed back to my temporary home. Washed out the fly sheet and hung it on the line. Pointless really as it was still raining. I had breakfast and when M&C got up asked for help in lifting up the tent without getting too dirty. Then I put it all in the dryer. Forecast was suppose to be for sunny skies till 12 then rain. But the forecast was wrong. After sorting out my stuff and getting it loaded I decided that I would ride in the rain. But not to Coles Bay as planned but to Swansea. M&C also decided to head to Swansea. So we decided to ride together, better to ride as a pack in the rain. Me and my hi vis jacket at the back. The first hour it rained then it cleared up. One big hill, the rest of the ride was either flat or undulating. Oh and the down hill after the big climb was thrilling. Arrived in Swansea at 2. Staying in the courtyard at the backpackers. Hoping that there isn't a repeat of last nights rain! Although the forecast doesn't look good. The bad weather is coming in from the East, it usually comes in from the west and by the time it gets to the east it has dissipated. Bizarrely they are having bad bush fires in the west and no rain to help get them under control. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.




2 comments:

  1. The night of rain sounded horrible - but the rest still sounds incredible. I feel like I am there with you. In ten years can we do this together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally up for cycle touring with you Em. Let's decide on a country. :)

      Delete