Friday 22 January 2016

Day 4 Longford to Fingal 52km

Up early a long day ahead. The nearest campsite on the route Iam taking is 97km away. Suppose to be flat but flat and Tasmanian flat aren't the same. Started with a 12km ride to the no.1 highway. On nice quiet back roads. Then 31km on the very busy highway with the temperature rising. Got what I call, "hooned" by a car full of young adults of the male variety, or what I call, "tossers." Think it's amusing to swerve towards you and toot their horns. So they can watch you jump! Luckily nothing was thrown from the window. That was the only incident, most of the drivers today were very considerate. Just before the turning to Fingal I stopped for lunch and a rest in a rest area. Not much there except some benches and a free BBQ that had seen better days. It was good to get into the shade. The decrease  in traffic after I turned onto the B road to Fingal was a relief. This first stretch of road was a bit more undulating than I expected. Any who I was taking a little rest in a layby when a ute pulled over and Elwin popped out and asked me if I wanted a lift. I did think about it for a little while before saying yes. It's amazing how quickly your brain works to make a decision. Before I said yes I had done a for and against in my head and the for came out on top. I don't know I just think that he stopped because we were suppose to meet our paths were aligned to cross. I mean I could of carried on cycling wrapped up in my own thoughts or as I chose to do meet an interesting chap who I learnt a lot from in the short time we spent together.  Elwin was bought up in Avoca Tasmania so has lived in the same area all his life. Now lives in a house by the river up a track of the main road. Also told me that he can't remember a time when the land has been this dry at this time of year. The river that runs threw the valley is also the lowest it's been for a long time. He was a great guy and I enjoyed spending time with him. I think I should rename my blog the accidental hitch hiker. Anyway I got to the free camping a lot sooner than I anticipated, which was nice. Lovely little site with a BBQ, toilets and a shower. Spent the afternoon relaxing and reorganising my stuff. 





No comments:

Post a Comment