Thursday 21 January 2016

Day 3 - Deloraine to Longford 45.5km

Managed to get up pretty early the tent was covered in a thin coating of ash. The sky is still smoky bit clearer than last night. Checked the Tasmanian fire alert website looks like they are still burning and advising to be aware in areas west of where Iam. Was on the road at 8.30 and heading east, as I left town saw a sign for emergency evacuation center so I guess they must be preparing just in case it heads this way. Iam riding on the B54 today which is adjacent to the Bass highway. This means less traffic and hardly any trucks. Pretty good undulating road, easy for me to ride. At the hour mark I reached Westbury a nice little village so treated myself to a coffee and sat in the park. Took me a while to realise that the entrance was two huge cricket wickets! Still pretty chilly at 9.30 hope it warms up a little bit. After looking at the map and the live fire alerts decided to head the quicker way to the coast as there is a fire alert on the road I was going to take to Scotsdale. That and the new route is flatter and I enjoy it so much more. Want to get my cycling legs back before I take on too many hills. The first day knocked me of balance really was having second thoughts about the trip. But after the joy of today's ride I feel much better. The traffic on the B54 was pretty quiet but when I turned off that road onto the B51 to Longford the traffic increased as did the number of trucks. Arrived at the only caravan park in town, right on the river. When I arrived sent the American couple a message letting them know I decided to head the same way as them and that it was a great flattish ride. Set up my tent and got organised and then had a look around town. Very nice lots of old brick buildings and friendly people. The council also provides free wifi throughout the town. Courtney and Misti arrived at six and I chatted with them in the camp kitchen till 9.30. Tomorrow heading to the free camping at Fingal!! A 97km ride, but suppose to be flat most of the way. Google maps says it will take 4 hours and 58 minutes so an early start. It's a long holiday weekend for Australia Day so hoping that there won't be too much traffic and the campsite won't be too packed. The sky is also less smoky here. 







No comments:

Post a Comment