Monday 25 January 2016

Day 7 St Mary's to Bicheno 44.26km

Had a great sleep and up out of bed at 7 getting everything packed away and organised. Was on the road just after 9 and ready for the climb up the hill threw elephants pass. Meeting M & C at the pancake house at the top. It was only 8 km but climbing most of the time. Managed to make it up without getting of to push, my lungs and legs got a very good workout! The prize a lemon and sugar pancake and a coffee. Ready for the downhill now. Was waiting for MC to arrive checked my messages they had taken the wrong road and headed to St. Helens. So would go up the coast and then come back down. I began my decent 12km of pure bliss. Although my brakes got a lot of use, obviously. It was pretty cold at the top I had to put on my jacket and buff. The weather is set to get wet in the next couple of days. Which is good for the bushfires and the farmers but not so nice for cycle tourists. Iam not a big fan of cycling in the rain especially on narrow winding roads. So the ride now is on the east coast and was suppose to be flat to Bichino. But my flat and Tasmanian flat aren't the same thing. Tasmanian flat means undulating. Stopped to chat to two Aussie guys who decided that the best way to celebrate Australia Day was to sit by the side of the road drinking beer and waving flags!! It was a good ride to Bicheno headed to the camp ground, showered did my washing and started cooking my tea early. Then Courtney walked past the door. They decided to skip the free camping as they were worried they didn't have enough food. They had also bumped into Cornelius a Dutch cyclist who they had met on the ferry. So we all piled onto one site to reduce costs. Which I think campsites should do more often. Especially for those travelling solo, it can be expensive paying for a site for two people when you are only one. Mind you I have found that some of the sites in Tasmania charge per person. Just before 9pm we headed down to the sea to see if we could see the Penguins coming in. We were lucky saw quite s few. It's raining now so who knows what the plan for tomorrow will be. 





No comments:

Post a Comment