Wednesday 2 March 2016

The Great Ocean Road Day 1 & 2 70.10km

Decided to tackle the Great Ocean Road. Should be a breeze after Tasmania! Going to follow the route in my cycle Australia book. Well actually can't really go wrong as it's just one road! It's only a short ride, doable in five days if I don't take any breaks. Got to the Southern Cross Railway Station in Melbourne late yesterday morning to catch the train to Geelong. Cycled in via the bike path on the Yarra river. Beautiful. It was a short trip to Geelong and cost just over $8 which compared to UK prices is a bargain. The weather here has taken a turn for the better and it was a hot sunny day. Thought about staying in Geelong but really wanted to get going so headed for Torquay. Got there mid afternoon and set up my tent which I seam sealed the day before just in case.Although looking at the weather for the next 10 days doesn't look like it will rain. But things can change quickly. After I had sorted my tent and my tea out I went for a walk by the beach. 
Day 2 started slowly, not really in any hurry to get going. Left just after 9. The Great Ocean Road officially starts at the commemorative arch, that's just before Lorne. My destination for today. Out of Torquay I took a detour to Bells Beach where they were starting to set up for the oldest and longest running surfing competition in the world? I think that's what the chap said. Roads were undulating and it was pretty hot. The road hugged the coast most of the way after Anglesey so it was a scenic ride. Stopped at the arch to take some pictures. I have been on the great ocean road before,back in 1989 when I first came to Australia, in a car. I seem to remember it was pretty spectacular. It's going to be interesting to do it slowly. Got to Lorne mid afternoon and set up at the campsite. The cycling in Tasmania has made my legs stronger and prepared me well for this ride. 







No comments:

Post a Comment