Sunday 6 March 2016

Day 6 Lavers Hill to Port Campbell 55.12km

Had to pack my tent away wet this morning, was slow getting going. Today would mostly be downhill, but was pretty sure there would be a few hills. It was overcast again today but still really humid so sweating was something I just got use to. The decent down to Gellibrand River was gorgeous. Long sweeping corners , sharp switchbacks and not a car behind me to slow me down it was great. Then of course the uphill, but half way up I remembered I was going to cycle on the old ocean road which was suppose to be a flat gravel road. So pulled over and checked google maps. There was the turning at the bottom of the hill, guess I needed a bit of a workout! So back down the hill and onto the gravel road. Was pretty well maintained except for one bit right at the end which was a bit bumpy. 14 km with no other traffic,no cars,no buses no one except me and my bike, really enjoyable. Reached Pricetown at 12.30 and whilst eating a snack tried to decide whether to stop and camp or carry on to Port Campbell. I really wanted to see the Apostles first thing in the morning as the light is better and less people around. But decided to carry on going and if I wanted to see them again I could cycle back from PC. Got to the visitor centre just after one. I think the last time I was here was in 1989 and it's changed a lot. More organised a big car park which was packed and pathways to decked viewing platforms. There use to be 12 Apostles I think there are only 7 now. But still it an amazing sight especially with the sea crashing in. Had a coffee at the centre and whilst there chatted to a couple who had just completed the great ocean walk, which follows the coast from Apollo Bay. They were from the same area in WA where I was born which was another one of those coincidences. Chatted for a while about cycling and walking paths around Australia and then we set off on our separate ways. There were still several sights to visit before getting to Port Campbell, which I have taken copious pictures of! Did have 20 odd but managed to whittle it down to 15ish. Decided to camp at the recreational campsite and whilst making my tea started chatting with Lexa. She's travelling in her camper van. Just got back from Tassie. She's offered me a ride out to the apostles in the morning as she wants to see them in the morning light. Another coincidence.














1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to catch up with you here on your incredible journey!
    So glad it was you cycling and not me!!! haha

    ReplyDelete