Thursday 31 March 2016

Day 1 The Great Victorian Rail Trail Tallarook to Yea

I thought I was finished with cycling in Australia but couldn't resist just one more trip before packing my bike away. Then I  am going to spend my last month in Australia doing a bit of rail travel. I decided to do the longest rail trail in Victoria, 134km and because it will be a return trip to get back to the train station it will be 268km. The good thing about rail trails is they are relatively easy to ride and have no motorised traffic. What a joy, no hi-vis jacket on this trip. I caught the train at southern cross station at 10.30 after another pleasant ride along the Yarra river. The fare a massive $9 something for a 70 minute ride, why can't train travel in the UK be this reasonable? On arrival at Tallarook had my sandwiches in the park and then set off for Yea. A beautiful sunny day with little wind and blue skies. The trail was well maintained and a joy to ride on. Took a couple of hours to get to Yea where I popped into the information centre to get some maps and leaflets about the trail. Then to the only caravan park in Yea to set up for the night. It seems to be a bit greener this side of Victoria, I am looking forward to seeing Lake Eildon and cycling threw one of the only tunnels on a rail trail. If you are interested in the rail trail go to YouTube and do a search for the great Victorian rail trail. Some interesting videos and one that does the whole trail in 17 minutes. Or the tourist boards video is also very good. 




2 comments:

  1. Wish I was going with you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did this along with lots of others last month. Camped exactly where you did at Yea.. great pool they have. Enjoy the trip...good to do them both ways!

    ReplyDelete