Friday 4 March 2016

Day 5 Apollo Bay to Lavers Hill 46.64km

Managed to get on the road earlier than usual, figured I needed to get going as today was a day of tough climbing. Which started as soon as I turned onto the Ocean Road from the campsite. At the top of the hill were 2 ambulances and as I passed they were doing CPR on a man. I hope they got his heart going again. Made me realise how fragile life really is, you just don't know what's going to happen. 
So I was thinking about that for a while as I focused on getting up the hills. Today the road went inland and into The Great Otway National Park. Up and up! Took me 70 minutes to go 11km, was slow going but of course with the up comes the down. I was actually grateful that it was cloudy today, only issue was 100% humidity so I was sweating a lot! Down back to the coast at Castle Cove. Stopped for a look at the sea there and met my first cycle tourist on this trip. A chap from Melbourne doing the ocean road then to Adalaide. This road is actually very popular with road cyclist I have seen loads of them. Anyway back on the bike and back inland. This time uphill to Lavers Hill. It was a hard slog my legs had had the energy sapped out of them by the first hill so this one was taking a bit longer and I was stopping more often. Also because it was  later in the day the buses started coming. I made it to the top at two, after four hours of cycling with an average speed of 11kmph. But that's the hardest part of the ride done now. Tomorrow it's downhill and then flat, I am sure there will be more hills but nothing as hard as today. Decided to stay at Lavers Hill as I am shattered. Found a campsite and the owner decided not to charge me which was nice of him. I am going to sleep well tonight.






No comments:

Post a Comment