Monday 14 September 2015

Innisfail to Mission Beach

Another wet night,torrential rain. Woke up at the usual time checked the weather forecast and decided to stay put for the day. But when I got up at 6.30 it was only lightly raining and the sky was relatively clear. So I changed my mind, it's all about moving forward. So packed up quickly, stuff was dry inside tent. The tent on the other hand was very wet. Forecast says heavy showers for today and tomorrow and Iam heading towards the wettest place in Australia, Tully, so more than likely will rain at some point. Decided to head for the free campsite at El Arish only 20km away and see what the weather did. Stopped for a coffee about 5km in. A nice little cafe next to the sugar museum. Had a nice chat with the ladies in there. Then a woman came over and chatted to me, she'd seen me up in Cairns. Which was cool. She said she toured around New Zealand in the 90s. I am really enjoying chatting with people.  I don't know what happened to the rain but it turned out hot and sunny.  By the time I got to the free camping I was feeling ok and figured do I want to spend my birthday, tomorrow, at a campsite on the highway or make the effort and do a bit of a detour to the beach. I obviously decided to go to the beach cause on my birthday it's all about me. OMG I made it to Mission Beach but what an effort. First day I have done 50km and the first time this trip I have had to walk up a hill. I just couldn't physically do it, it was a long hill. Then when I got to MB had the joy of riding on a cycle path for about 3km.If I had been organised I could have organised a warm showers stay but a couple of hours notice wouldn't  have been cool so I headed for a caravan park. Put up my wet tent and got sorted. Bike is locked to a palm tree! Iam knackered and caught a bit too much sun for one day. Did some washing, my cycling clothes were smelling real bad. Then decided it would be nice to have a rest day on my birthday and relax a bit. So staying here till Wednesday. Just before dusk cycled down to the beach with no panniers, wow bike felt very light. Nice beach with a net. On the way back treated myself to a cold beer. Tomorrow a cup cake with a candle!



2 comments:

  1. Perfect Tema. Mission Beach for your Birthday. Have a great day. G x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely place. Watch the sun. Happy birthday do you. Happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete