Sunday 13 September 2015

Day 3 Babinda to Innisfail

Up at 6 again. Still taking me ages to get organised. Still wearing the same cycling clothes as day 1. Crispy! Fay made a couple of cups of coffee and Jim popped over to wish me all the best. Another emotional goodbye. And off I went. So far    I haven't thought gees Tina why are you doing this. At the moment I am really enjoying it. Mind you I am only on day 3 ..... Today was sunny with the occasional shower and went from sugar cane to bananas. The cycle path/ verge was thin in places especially going over bridges. And sometimes the drop off is pretty steep. On the whole the car and lorry drivers are very considerate. Today a two trailer road train pulled to the other side of the road when passing me. I waved a thank you and he blinked his indicators. For some reason that made me a bit emotional. So those drop offs on the side of the road I have to concentrate pretty hard sometimes not to drive off them. Well today I was trying to clean my glasses and slipped of only a 5 cm drop but enough to lose balance and fall off my bike for the first time. Wasn't going fast, no traffic in sight and thank goodness for the new quick release cleats Les gave me. Brushed myself of got back on the bike, lesson painfully learned! Pretty flat again today after  an hour cycling stopped at a fruit stand for some bananas and clementines. Then just after that I saw my first cycle tourist a lone woman heading in the opposite direction we exchanged hellos and big smiles. I thought it must be nice to have the wind behind you. After 35 km of riding arrived at my next campsite just after Innisfail. Whilst in Babinda Jim told me about the Wikicamps Australia app. It's brill. Has all the campsites free and paid with reviews so you can steer clear if you have to. Looks like the weather rain isn't going to clear up until Tuesday which isn't going to be nice,

2 comments:

  1. Nice work with the cleats. Remember, always look where you want to go. If u look down the drop off, that is where you'll end up. Onya Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Les top advice. Also if i need to clean my glasses its best to stop and do it.

    ReplyDelete