Friday 18 September 2015

Day 8 Ingram to Blue Water free camping 30km north of Townsville

So met another cycle tourist at the campsite a young Australian guy from Byron bay. Super positive had a good aura. Bit of a chat with him. I was a bit envious as he only had 2 back panniers and was all packed up ready to go in an hour! So as he was leaving he said he had had a puncture and thought it might have been because the pressure in his tyres had gone down too much. So suggested I make sure to keep my pressure up as they can sometimes drop as much as 5psi a day. Which I thanked him for and duly checked mine. Down to 40 from 60. So they were pumped back up again. I have been checking over the bike every other day but completely forgot about the tyre pressure. As I was leaving the campsite got nipped at the heels by a jack Russell. Then another little dog chased me for a little bit but gave up when I shouted at it. Today was going to be hot, up in the 30s, not much wind and hardly any cloud. So lots of sunscreen. For most of the day I actually thought it was Saturday, was trying to organise a warm shower host in Townsville and was saying I would be there on Sunday when in fact I meant Saturday. Any who after a couple of hours cycling came across the Frosty Mango road stop very nice cafe etc. had a good coffee and mango and coconut cheesecake. Met Julie and her son there had a good chat. Filled up my water bottles and headed of again. Oh random, when I was making my porridge this morning in the camp kitchen a guy walked in said good morning and had a little green parrot on his shoulder! It was getting pretty hot by lunch time so decided to stop for an hour to get out of the midday sun. Met a nice couple from Cairns who were popping down to Townsville to pick up a part for their tractor. They gave me some Strawberries and filled up my water bottles with iced water. Later they passed me on their way back to Cairns and tooted. It's funny how the smallest things can make you smile. Had a choice of 2 free campsites today and figured when I got to the first one I would see how I felt, if I felt ok would carry on the extra 20 km to the next one which is what I ended up doing. After 77km I arrived at Blue Water free camping and was met by Keith, Sandra and Ben. Was going to pitch my tent on the oval as grassy there but a kind man advised that the sprinklers may come on. He, Jim leant me some heavy duty pegs and a hammer so I could put my tent up in the dryer harder ground outside the oval. Ben made me a nice cup of tea and a lamington and I decided to pitch next to his caravan. Then Keith gave me a beer or 4. Sat down and had a chat. Great free camp with a good atmosphere. Ben a great bloke let me have a shower in his caravan and even leant me a pillow. Then for tea went over to the community centre for a salad roll and chips with Keith, Sandra, their son Josh and Ben. Short day tomorrow 30km into Townsville. 

No comments:

Post a Comment