Saturday 26 September 2015

Day 16 Seaforth to Alligator Creek

Took me an hour and a half to get organised this morning. On the road at 7.30, getting faster. A 20 km ride back to the Bruce Highway with some slow climbs and one big windy slow climb. I was determined to make it up there by pedal power alone. So low gear and all I kept saying was you can do this, come on T etc until I got to the top. Which I did and then enjoyed the freewheeling down the other side. Was in Mackay just after 10. Had to pop in the post office as had a Post Restante card redirected there. Unfortunately it hadn't arrived so I spent a while chatting to the helpful man in the PO trying to decide what to do. I could stay in Mackay until Monday but that would be another rest day and a bit of a delay plus 2 nights accomadation. So I decided to redirect it again and make sure it gets ahead of me this time. Instead of cycling threw the city/town I cycled on the bicycle/walking track. Added an extra 6km to my ride but it was a joy to cycle with no cars on a good wide path. The track actually goes all the way around Mackay. On the way out of town I stopped to get some veges at the cheapest veg shop ever. I got 2 bananas, 2 mandarins, a courgette, an onion and a sweet potato for $2.90. The road out of Mackay was very good, a wide shoulder and most of the time smooth tarmac. Riding was going well today my legs seem to be getting stronger, which is encouraging,even though it did get windy later. I reached the campsite at Alligator Creek just before 4. Nice woman Jackie gave me a pitch for $10, which I think is about the right price for me, my bike and tent. Free camping aside I have been charged anything from $12.50 to $35. $35 is ridiculous just for me and I won't be doing that again. Tent up, showered decided I really should do some laundry! That sorted made tea and relaxed. Oh the magpie attacks continue, Jackie reckons the best defence is a wig on your helmet. I think a shot gun would do the trick! Whoops no can't do that apparently they are protected. 72km cycled today.



No comments:

Post a Comment