Wednesday 16 September 2015

Day 7 Cardwell to just south of Ingham

Up at the usual time. Didn't sleep too well some old fellows were having a bit of a yarn late last night. Also couldn't stop thinking about the big climb today. I think I would prefer it if it's a slow long hill. But I won't know till I get there. Most of the ride was thru bush today. I knew the hill would arrive at about 35km as there is a lookout at the top. Thank goodness for wikicamps. Set of at 8 am another sunny day with no wind. Good thing about having  bush either side of the road is the trees offer a bit of shade first thing in the morning. Got to the base of the climb, see I was obsessed with it. Annoying. Anyway I tried my best it didn't help that it was hot,   I was dripping with sweat. I think I got half way up and my lungs couldn't take it anymore so I got off and walked. Made it up to the look out which was worth the effort. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture, maybe go back tomorrow. NOT! Had to take my shoes off as could feel the back of my ankles hurting. That's when I met Joy and John from Port Ferry in Victoria. Who got out their first aid kit and supplied plasters and cushioning. And Joy gave me a pair of dryfit socks. Thank you Joy. From there it was a nice fast decent. Very warm. Went past the turning for Halifax, would be interesting to see how it looks. Nothing like Halifax Nova Scotia I bet. Stopped at a fruit stand and met a great guy called um it began with S more of a nickname I think with a y on the end! Anyway got 2 satsumas and an apple for a dollar, then he gave me 3 more satsumas cause he liked me. He was a nice bloke and very kind. Was a relief to get to the campsite as was getting very hot. Just cooked my tea. A dehydrated pasta dish serves 4, but tonight at 500 calories it serves just me.




2 comments:

  1. So wonderful to meet you at the Hinchinbrook look out. WOW. You are an inspiration. Hope those blisters are behaving. We will send you a photo from the lookout :-) cheers Joy and John

    ReplyDelete